Grey hair is non-pigmented and may easily get discolouration or yellow tones due to several reasons like product build-up, use of hot tools, pollution, genetics, medications, sun damage etc…
Keeping grey hair bright and healthy is the biggest challenge of this journey which can be achieved in two ways:
- Clarification: The best way to remove brassiness in grey hair by detoxifying hair strands and scalp is clarification. It helps in getting rid of residue that coats the hair shaft by the use of styling products on hair, pollution, dirt, mineral deposits from water etc… The two prominent ways in which you can clarify your hair are either using a good clarifying shampoo or rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar once a week. ACV is a more natural way of treating grey hair for bright, beautiful and healthy hair.
- Purple Shampoo: As the name suggests a purple shampoo is a shampoo that contains purple pigments and is used to neutralise yellow or brassy tones in grey hair. Here it is important to know if your hair needs purple shampoo or not. If your grey hair has yellow tones due to sun damage, heat styling, medication, genetics or any other irreversible yellowing that can only be covered and not clarified, you can use a purple shampoo. Else to remove the impurities get it clarified.
Now, the real challenge can be choosing a purple shampoo suitable for grey hair because while a purple shampoo is generally safe to use, it can potentially dry out hair if it is overused or left on the hair for too long. It is because it contains sulfates which is a powerful cleaning agent that can strip away natural oils from the scalp and hair leaving the hair feeling dry and brittle.
Some purple shampoos may contain ingredients other than sulfate that contributes to dryness, such as alcohol, silicones, mineral oils or strong fragrances. It’s important to read the label and choose a gentle purple shampoo that doesn’t contain harsh or drying ingredients.
Natural grey hair is already prone to dryness due to the lack of natural oils produced by the scalp, so using purple shampoos containing harsh chemicals can exacerbate this issue and make the hair look dull and brittle. So it is necessary to pick a formula that least harmful chemicals that elevate dryness in hair and may have nourishing ingredients that can help to hydrate and protect the hair.
After thorough research, recommendations and reviews of several purple shampoos, I curated a list of purple shampoos that are formulated with non-drying ingredients to help keep your grey hair healthy and hydrated without excessive frizz or flyaways :
“This page contains affiliate links. If you click one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission. No additional charges for you!”
This Purple Shampoo is good for all Hair Types: Straight, Wavy, Curly, and Coily. It cancels out warm brassy hues. It incorporates nourishing ingredients like coconut oil and açaí extract to improve the health and look of hair, adds moisture, and boosts softness and shine.
- Free from: Parabens, formaldehydes, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, sulfates SLS & SLES, triclocarban, triclosan, and contains less than one per cent synthetic fragrance.
- Vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.
- Key Ingredients: Pro-grade violet pigment helps cancel out yellow, brassy tones
- Açaí extract, the purple superfruit is rich in antioxidants which help provide extra moisture
- Coconut fatty acids, easily absorbed by hair, help to hydrate and nourish
- Frankincense oil helps add shine and moisture to hair
- Scent: A light grapefruit and oatmeal
All Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamide Mea, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Laureth-3, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Boswellia Carterii Oil, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Anhydroxylitol, Calcium Gluconate, Carnosine, Gluconolactone, Hydroxypropylammonium Gluconate, Hydroxypropylgluconamide, Maltodextrin, Xylitol, Xylitylglucoside, Maleic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Trideceth-12, Glycol Stearate, PEG-150 Distearate, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Parfum/Fragrance, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Quaternium-80, Sarcosine, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Amodimethicone, Lauric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Peg-12 Allyl Ether, Citric Acid, BHT, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate Dimethicone, Sodium Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Silica, Dehydroacetic Acid, Tartaric Acid, CI 60730 (Ext. Violet 2), Amyl Cinnamyl, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamyl, Hydroxycitronellal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. VPS01-S21
Gently cleanses, brightens and eliminates brassiness immediately. Smells great and is infused with natural ingredients. Oribe products aren’t cheap, but a little goes away. This nourishing and revitalizing violet shampoo brightens grey hair. All Oribe products are dermatologist tested and formulated with safe, high-quality, innovative ingredients.
- Safe to be used daily.
- Free of: sulfates, parabens, formaldehydes, formaldehyde-releasing agents, mineral oils, oxybenzone, and coal tar. It is also vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free.
- PETA-approved, UV protective, and color and keratin-treatment safe.
- Brightening Complex (Lemon, Ginger Root, and Chamomile Extracts) that optimizes shade, tonality, and luminosity.
- Oribe Signature Complex defends hair from environmental elements, oxidative stress, photoaging, and the deterioration of natural keratin.
- Scent: Oribe’s signature scent, Côte d’Azur.
Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamide MIPA, Dimethicone, Capryloyl/Caproyl Methyl Glucamide, Lauroyl/Myristoyl Methyl Glucamide, Glycerin, Acrylates/Beheneth-25 Methacrylate Copolymer, Coconut Acid, Parfum/Fragrance, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Amodimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Propanediol, Sodium Isethionate, Propylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydroxyacetophenone, Sodium Benzoate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Polyquaternium-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Laureth-23, Laureth-4, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-15, Trideceth-3, BHT, Rice Oil Glycereth-8 Esters, Shea Butter Glycereth-8 Esters, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silicone Quaternium-22, Sorbitol, Phenoxyethanol, Salicylic Acid, Quaternium-95, Citric Acid, Caffeine, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Seed Oil, Dipropylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-3 Caprate, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Acetic Acid, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Flower Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract, Cystine Bis-PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Niacinamide, Palmitamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Extract, Leontopodium Alpinum Extract, Tin Oxide, Vegetable Amino Acids, Cupressus Sempervirens Seed Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Seed Protein, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Phytic Acid, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Extract, Gluconolactone, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Biotin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Litchi Chinensis Pericarp Extract, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbeth-230 Tetraoleate, Decyl Glucoside, Calcium Gluconate, Sorbitan Laurate, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).
Filled with the goodness of Olaplex No. 4 along with the power of eliminating brassiness that too with hydrating qualities, this shampoo can be a game changer for your silvers.
- Highly concentrated purple shampoo cleanses, tones, and repairs while keeping hair hydrated from roots to ends.
- The sulfate-free formula creates a rich lather to neutralize brassiness and boost brightness after one use for all blonde, lightened, and grey hair.
- The only patented system to noticeably repair extreme damage—turn dry, brittle hair into soft, shiny, and more resilient hair.
- Free of DEA, Aldehydes and Formaldehyde.
- This product is vegan, gluten-free, and cruelty-free.
- Free of Sulfates SLS & SLES
- Scent: Unscented
Ingredients: Water (Aqua/Eau), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Chloride, Acrylates Copolymer, Betaine, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Polyquaternium-7, Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Acid Violet 43 (Cl 60730).
The BTW Co.’s Purple Shampoo is designed to maintain hair’s natural vibrancy and tone, while keeping it looking healthy and shiny. Its formula contains nourishing ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil, and a violet pigment, which help to maintain the pH balance of your scalp and strands. Additionally, its unique purple color helps to neutralize brassy colors in blonde hair so you can maintain salon-level results at home.
This brand was founded by one of our silver sisters who began to go grey in her twenties. The products by this brand produce fantastic results, with an emphasis on affordability and more natural ingredients.
- Gentle plant-based hair cleansing formula that provides exceptional moisture.
- Certified organic herbal blend of argan oil, sunflower seed oil and avocado oil that helps to add moisture, and repair hair.
- Free From: Phthalates, Sulfates, Parabens, Silicones, Synthetic Fillers
- Leaping Bunny certified and cruelty-free.
- For maximum effects recommended to use this product in conjunction with their Purple Conditioner.
- Scent: Light fragrance
Full Ingredients: Purified Water, Capryl Glucoside, Coco Glucoside, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Vegetable Glycerin, Certified Organic Herbal Blend of Argan (Argania Spinsosa) Oil, Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus) Seed Oil, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Guar (Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba) Gum, PPG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydrogenated Ethylhexyl Olivate, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Unsaponifiables, Meadowfoam (Limnanthes Alba) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Grape (Vitus Vinifera) Seed Oil, Iron Oxide, Phytic Acid, Fragrance, Glycol Stearate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, D&C Violet 2
Highly pigmented shampoo with an amazing scent. It strengthens, repairs, and hydrates dry, damaged strands while toning yellow, brassy hues with bond cure technology, quinoa protein, plant butter, and ultra-violet pigments.
- Free of : Sulfates, parabens, formaldehydes, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, oxybenzone, coal tar, hydroquinone, sulfates SLS & SLES, triclocarban, triclosan, and contains less than one per cent synthetic fragrance.
- Tones Brassiness.
- Vegan proteins made up of essential amino acids which can provide keratin-like benefits from a plant source.
- Includes three plant butters: mango butter extract which is packed with omegas and vitamins a, c, and e. Omega-6 fatty acid-rich borage oil, and Shea butter that’s loaded with vitamins, minerals, and five principle fatty acids.
- It is vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.
- Bond Cure Technology: Targets the hair bonds most prone to breakage.
- Safe for colour-treated, Brazilian-treated, and Keratin-treated hair.
- Does not contain any direct gluten contributing ingredients.
All ingredients: water/aqua/eau, sodium c14-16 olefin sulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine, glycerin, sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, glyceryl stearate, hippophae rhamnoides (sea buckthorn/argousier) fruit/seed oil, borago officinalis (borage/bourrache) seed oil, persea gratissima (avocado/avocat) oil, mangifera indica (mango/mangue) seed butter, butyrospermum parkii (shea/karite) butter, hydroxypropyl guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lavandula angustifolia (lavender/lavande) flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria/matricaire) flower extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary/romarin) leaf extract, hydrolyzed quinoa, aminomethyl propanol, bis-pca dimethicone, butylene glycol, disodium edta, disodium peg-12 dimethicone sulfosuccinate, peg-55 propylene glycol oleate, peg-12 dimethicone, peg-150 distearate, peg-150 stearate, polyquaternium-10, polyquaternium-7, polysorbate 20, propylene glycol, polyethylene glycol, citric acid, dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, benzoic acid, stearic acid, sodium chloride, fragrance/parfum, benzyl benzoate, hydroxycitronellal, limonene, ext. violet 2 (ci 60730)
Bold Uniq Purple Shampoo removes brassiness, enhances shine, adds luminosity to hair strands, helps protect from damage, prevents breakage and split ends, nourishes scalp with sea buckthorn berry oil, provides a protective hair shield against damage from environmental stresses, creates incredibly glossy locks, and is vegan-friendly.
- It has intense purple pigments that are stronger than traditional purple shampoos.
- Free of: Sulfate and paraben, mineral oil, phthalates, and formaldehyde.
- It is vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.
- Innovative UV Filters protect your hair against damage caused by ultraviolet radiation.
- Recommended by hair stylists worldwide.
All Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (Note this is not a sulfate), Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-7, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate(Vitamin E), Benzophenone-3, Benzophenone-4, Trideceth-12, Sodium Chloride, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oil, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Crambe Abyssinica (Abyssinian) Seed Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citric Acid, Triethylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Acid Violet 43.
A sustainable purple shampoo bar that can be used as a regular shampoo to brighten and keep any yellow tones at bay for blonde, silver and platinum hair shades and is designed to add body and shine to hair.
- Free from: Sulfate and Paraben, Plastic-Free, Vegan, Cruelty-Free, Eco-Friendly.
- pH balanced (pH- 6), perfect for grey hair
- Ingredients like babassu and jasmine oils add shine and body, and beetroot extract for extra colour power.
- Scent: Jasmine & vanilla scent
Ingredients: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate, Stearic Acid, Mica, Cocoyl Methyl Glucamide, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Lactic Acid, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Betaine, Brassica Alcohol, Glycerine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance^, Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Oil, Beta Vulgaris (Beetroot) Extract, Benzyl Benzoate*, Benzyl Alcohol*, Linalool*, Eugenol*. ^Certified natural. *Component of essential oils. Ethique is 100% palm free. All Ethique ingredients are derived from non-palm sources such as Rice Bran or Coconut Oils.
Pravana’s purple toning shampoo is formulated with some of the best ingredients for maintaining grey hair. The crown jewel of this product is it’s extract blend, comprised of dragon fruit and apple amino acids, tomato protein and watermelon rind, adding natural moisture and helping to repair damage such as split ends. Additionally, the patented keratin complex helps reduce frizziness by 90% and adds strength to weakened tresses.
- Sulfate-free formula that helps neutralize unwanted yellow tones in the hair while brightening, providing moisture, adding shine and reducing breakage.
- Gently cleanses, purifies and neutralizes unwanted yellow tones to give brighter, whiter strands.
- Adds strength, shine and elasticity with added keratin, wheat and silk amino acids.
- Scent: Fruity and a little floral.
All Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Glycol Distearate, Benzophenone-4, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Silicate, Citric Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Disodium Edta, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydroxyapatite, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Ferrocyanide, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Sodium Silicoaluminate, Starch Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Benzoic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Violet 2 (Ci 60730).
The above-suggested shampoos have high-quality nourishing and hydrating ingredients. Although they might seem expensive but are worth the effort.
Purple shampoos are designed to remove unnecessary brassiness from the grey/blonde hair but make sure not to overuse it or it will make your hair dry and dull by leaving buildup on hair. It must be used once a week or unless your hair needs toning.
Purple shampoos must not be used as regular shampoos. But purple shampoo toning must be done after using regular shampoo on wet hair. It must not be left on the hair for more than 3 mins- 5 mins.
The most important thing is to always do a moisture treatment afterwards. Use a conditioner after each wash. Invest in high-quality nourishing and hydrating conditioners and hair masks.
If you have dry hair, it’s important to choose a purple shampoo that is formulated to be gentle and moisturizing. Look for products that are sulfate-free, alcohol-free, and contain moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or coconut oil.
It’s important to choose a product that is appropriate for your hair type and to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use to achieve the best results.
Remember, everyone’s hair is different, so what works for one person may not work for another. It’s always a good idea to do a patch test before trying any new hair care product and to consult with a professional stylist if you have any concerns about how a product may affect your hair.
Please share this post if you find it helpful! Also, let me know what purple shampoo do you use in the comment box.